Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bad run good dinner

Despite working my legs a little yesterday, I still decided to go on a run. Given my competitive nature and the speed training I've been doing, I wanted to run a good time. The confluence of these bad decisions, naturally, was a predictable result.

I had a new app on my Android phone that I downloaded to track the run. It was worth exactly what I paid for it. It overestimated the course by half a mile, and I couldn't drill down into the run to see the mistakes I made that led to the wheels completely falling off the bus. It did show me starting off near an 8 minute pace, which isn't a good thing for me on worn legs. And it did show me hitting the wall at the 4 mile mark when I absolutely had no legs left, and me walking home from there.

One of the best aspects of the run was that I downloaded Pandora and was able to have my custom music mix stream to me as I ran. Pandora does a great job of creating a custom mix especially for me, with songs not otherwise in my iTunes library. So I could get my horrible musical taste served with different songs than I'm used to. Woot!

Tonight for dinner I dipped once again into molecular gastronomy for the feature pairing of mango and rosemary. I made a "salsa" consisting of diced mango, tomato, finely minced rosemary, balsamic vinegar, lime juice, salt, and a touch of red onion (a very delicate touch) that I served over broiled halibut. Side dishes were great northern beans with a caramelized red onion-rosemary-tomato essence, and roasted artichokes. The thing about the rosemary-mango pairing is that it makes you think about the individual flavors of both ingredients, and taste them differently, as they do have chemical similarities. I'm beginning to enjoy these new taste experiences a lot, and I've been scheming new madness as I get deeper into the science of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment