Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bad Run

This afternoon I went for a run at lunch time, and it was simply horrible through and through. At first, I tried intervals, meaning I run hard for a set period, then not so hard, in order to increase my speed. I was going to do 5-4-3-2-1 intervals (5 minutes fast, 5 minutes jog 4 fast, etc.) for a nice half hour workout, but there were many problems in conception and execution. I started out too fast, tried to do timing on my analog watch, didn't have a set program, was stuffy from the allergies, and then I changed the program to a 2.6 mile circuit run, but had no goals as to how fast I should be running at any time. At the end, I finally settled on working my calves on the last half of the run, and that felt good, but throughout it was a total mess.

I discovered a run is like your brain and body entering into a relationship. If you start out too fast, it is over before you even start, because the body will get repulsed by what the brain is trying to do to it. The brain needs to be strong, and take the lead, prepare, and set a clear agenda, or the body will be confused. Once you lose the body, the mind gets bored, and then they start fighting with each other. Soon enough, they make a Lifetime movie about your run starring Meredeth Baxter as your body and James Brolin as your brain, and nobody wants to see that movie. That painful vision was my run today.

I went out today and bought a arm strap for my phone so I can run with it. It is the Google phone and I have one of those nifty apps that can track my run, and a giant stopwatch too. That should help me keep better tabs on my run, and okay my horrible horrible music to boot. More math, more obsessive potential - we all win! Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment