Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hooked on Tabada

Earlier today my wife appeared in my office and asked if I wanted to do a Tabada workout. I was originally planning to go to the gym and work out, and the baby was fussy all day, so we didn't go through the routine in the afternoon. Work drug on, and then I took the boys out to feed them, so I figured working out was not going to happen today.

My wife usually puts the kids to bed while I make dinner, and tonight was no exception. When she was done, she came downstairs and wanted to do the Tabada workout. Apparently, she enjoyed it the last time, and felt good results, and now she's hooked on it. I was a little reluctant to do it, being in the middle of dinner preparation and, ahem, maybe sneaking a margarita when I took the boys to dinner. But heck, I figured I'd give it a go. So in the middle of dinner prep, I worked in a work out that was vigorous and worked my muscles hard. Mixing squats, incline pushups, jumps, and bicycle crunches and I was pretty whipped, and ready for dinner.

Dinner was a simple pasta dish. Took 1 pound of hot turkey Italian sausage (720 calories), and browned it in a pan with 2 tbsp of garlic. I added sliced mushrooms, spinach, mustard greens, and a can of San Marzano tomatoes (210 calories), and cooked it into a sauce. Meanwhile, I boiled two servings of pasta (400 calories) until about 2-3 minutes short of done, then finished it in the sauce. Note that it is during the finishing stage that I started the workout, which gave dinner good time to season the pasta, and a 650-700 calorie huge bowl of pasta was ready.

By the way, yesterday I gave another shot at a "race paced" 5 mile run. My gluteus maximus was the sore muscle during the run, from my Sunday or Monday workout, but I didn't think it was a big deal. Turns out it is a real pain in the... well.... to run with sore glutes. I started off really fast, between 8-9 minutes per mile for the first two, but really faded at the end. I still came in at 48 mins 20 seconds, including the 20 seconds I spent running into a friend and inviting her to dinner.

For dinner last night I made short ribs, which are delicious (about 400 calories per 1/2 pound serving cooked). Slow cooked a big pot of them for my friends and all the kids - simple and easy. Sear the ribs and then add tomatoes, carrots, onions, celery, stock, garlic, fennel seed, and a touch of molasses. A simple salad and a side of polenta (with a touch of cheddar for love, about 150 calories per serving) and I still had a 700 calorie meal that was a little decadent and kid friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment