Search This Blog

Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Best Thing I Ever Ate

Yesterday was a busy day. Early face-to-face meetings that lasted longer than anticipated which merged into lunch meetings, and then became dinner meetings. I know my mantra is "no excuses" but that is tertiary to my other two mantras: "don't get fired" and "don't tick off your wife". I could absolutely have snuck in a quick workout, and neglected all the familial responsibilities for the day, but I absolutely didn't want to do that, so I spent what little of a hole I had in my day taking care of my baby.

Besides, my calves were way too fried to consider any sort of workout. I could have done a pure upper body weights day at the gym, and considered doing that, but in the end giving my muscles and back an extra day off will probably be good for me.

As for those calves, yeah, they're not good. I am walking like a penguin in an effort to use them as infrequently as possible, mostly because they seem to be frozen solid. No running today, and I can't even swim with them so wrecked, so it looks like a little boxing is on tap later today. I'll do something to loosen them up tomorrow, however painful it may be.

Last night for dinner I ate probably the best thing I've ever eaten: the signature pork chop from Perry's Steakhouse. Oh, my. They bring it out to the table and carve it for you, because it is about 5-6 inches thick, literally. They carved it into three sections: the ribs, the excellent bit, and the mindblowingly phenomenal bit. I have no idea how they got a lean loin cut to be fall off the bone fork cut tender, and I also have no idea what they did to put that insanely flavorful crust on the outside. All I know is that I was transformed to another world by eating this thing.

Pork chops actually have a good protein-to-fat ratio in them, and aren't highly caloric. I ate about half of it, bravely suppressing my canine instincts to eat the whole thing, and brought the rest home to my wife (who was having a late dinner). She was skeptical that I was being hyperbolic about the greatness of the chop until she ate it, and she became a believer. All in all, I think my segment was in the 500 calorie range, which was pretty good discipline in the out-to-eat-at-a-steakhouse business dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment