Search This Blog

Monday, March 15, 2010

Slow Days

Sunday was my off day, and I decided to take today off as well with a sore neck and general fatigue. Not a huge fan of this whole Daylight Savings Time voodoo - all this shifting around of times disrupts my family's sleep cycles and makes the days weird for about a week. Tomorrow should be a pretty strong day with the extra rest, so I look forward to whatever manner of torture I decide to lay upon myself.

By the way, I'm open to feedback about what people would like to see in this blog. My wife told me last night she enjoys the blog so she can see what she ate for dinner that night. Who knew.

Yesterday I decided to use my Big Green Egg for dinner. I haven't used it for a while - our patio lighting is poor, so with the time change I was able to see what I was cooking out there. Hey, a benefit for the time changes! I believe the BGE was invented specifically to cook pork tenderloin, because the flavor and texture it imparts on them is spectacular. Recipe as follows:

1 pound pork tenderloin (800 calories)
1 tbsp mustard
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp garlic

Mix all the ingredients save the olive oil into a paste and rub it on the tenderloin. Cook on the BGE at 350-400 degrees on direct heat for 20-30 minutes until done. Note there is enough marinade to make two tenderloins, and they usually come in a twin pack, so make two and have leftovers. 400-425 calories per serving, depending on how much of the rub sticks, serves 2.

To glaze the pork, I toasted some fennels seeds in a pan, then took a tablespoon of apricot preserves and added them to the pan. A touch of stock, some soy sauce, and a few sprinkles of seasoned pepper, then reduce it down to a glaze, adds about 25 calories and a lot of tastiness.

I made brussels sprouts and acorn squash with it as well, both on the egg. I made one pack of the sprouts, seems to be about 3 cups for 120 calories total, and tossed them in chili paste, diced fennel, garlic, and 1/2 tbsp olive oil (60 calories). I tossed everything together and then wrapped them in foil, adding a splash of sherry before I sealed it. I then put it on the BGE next to the pork, cooks al dente in 30-40 minutes, 90 calories per serving for a lot of sprouts.

For the squash I cut them in half and added a teaspoon of olive oil, a splash of sherry, and some allspice, clove, and cinnamon, and then sealed them with foil and put them on the BGE. Cooks in about 30 minutes, about 120 calories per half. 650 calories total for the meal.


Tonight I made my soon-to-be-world-famous Pheaux with turkey meatballs. It was a little spicy, okay, a lot spicy. Adjust temperature to your own tolerance. I also had to make do with what was in my pantry, and I was out of lemongrass. Boo.

Meatballs:
1 lb 93/7 extra lean turkey breast (720 calories)
1/4 cup panko (50 calories)
1 tbsp Schriacha
1 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp Thai basil, finely chopped
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (50 calories)
1 tbsp minced ginger

Mix together and roll in small meatballs. Sear in 1 tbsp coconut oil (120 calories) in high walled pan (you'll be making the soup in it later) until brown on all sides, and remove from pan. Be careful not to burn anything, because you're going to make the soup right in this pan to retain all the flavor you just created.

Soup is as follows:
1/4 cup diced red onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 cup carrots cut into large cubes (30 calories)
1 cup baby portabella mushrooms, quartered (25 calories)
1 cup eggplant cubes (20 calories)
2 tbsp kaffir lime leaves, strips
2 tbsp thai basil minced
2 large serrano peppers, sliced
1 tbsp chili paste
1 tbsp cilantro, roughly torn
4 cups stock (40 calories)
2 servings pasta (400 calories)
Splash rice wine vinegar
1 lime

In the same pan the meatballs were made, add the onion, garlic, carrots, and ginger, and cook until soft. Use a little stock to deglace the meat so it doesn't burn to the bottom. Add mushrooms, serranos, and lime leaves, and then stock. Add thai basil and chili paste, and meatballs, then boil for 15 minutes or so. Add pasta (spaghetti preferred) and cook per directions on pasta, for spaghetti about 10 minutes. Finish with cilantro, vinegar, and the lime, and soy sauce as needed. Serve immediately, 800 calories total for an enormous bowl of soup - reserve a few meatballs to keep caloric content in the 600-700 calorie target range.

No comments:

Post a Comment