Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

5.0, Heroics, and Chili

5.0 was the maximum GPA where I went to school. Kids who would later be known as "successful" achieved GPAs at or near that number, where my GPA was more in the "you want fries with that" range.

I've marked off a number of loops that I run on a consistent basis, one is the 5.0 miler I ran today. The loop starts out innocently enough, with moderate uphills and downhills until I get to mile 2, where I get an awesome 7/10ths of a mile downhill run that makes me feel really fast. Right at that point, which is coincidentally a friend's house, is the time where the run really sucks. I have cleverly named that portion of the run "the time that really sucks" because it is a straight uphill run for at least .8 - 1.0 miles. Brutal.

Today felt good, partially because the sun returned and it was a nice 60 degrees. I worked through lunch, so I made time later in the day, which was awesome because school was getting out then. Which meant there were crossing guards to help the kids cross the street. And these crossing guards for some reason stop traffic so I can get by too. Gave me a feeling of power, kind of. And yeah, the drivers probably got upset at being stopped so my fat slow behind could waddle past, but I'm just doing something our government will never do, namely reducing future healthcare costs, so they should appreciate my efforts.

While running, I figured out a new purpose for this blog: to become a hero. Work with me here for a second. If you save someone's life, you're a hero, right? You give them up to 75 years of life with your heroic actions. While I'm not saving lives, if I inspire 75 people to get in shape and eat better, and each person lives one more year as a result, isn't that the same as giving one person 75 years? I've already heard from at least 5 people I've inspired, so only 70 to go and I'm a certified hero. I'm pretty sure it works like that.

For dinner tonight, I made chili. There are ways to make "chili" with healthy substitutes like turkey, and some of those recipes are pretty good. But I wanted to make real chili, and find a way to make it lighter without sacrificing flavor, and still satisfying. So off I went, and here it is.

Chili:
2-3 pound beef shoulder chuck roast (880 calories per pound net)
1 butternut squash (64 calories per cup, usually yields 4)
2 cans red kidney beans (700 calories)
1 28oz can pureed tomatoes (300 calories)
2 tbsp molasses (120 calories)
1 dark beer (150 calories)
1 large onion (60 calories)
1 tbsp olive oil (120 calories)
2 tbsp minced garlic
good amounts of chili powder and cumin, to taste, with salt & pepper
half can of pureed ancho chile in adobo
2 large jalapenos
1 square dark chocolate (70% or greater) (50 calories)

Cube the meat and be sure to eliminate all the obvious fat (I lost a full third of my roast to fat I threw out). Brown in oil in heavy dutch oven, and then add onions and garlic, and fry until soft. Add tomatoes and beer, and water or stock to cover, plus as much chili powder and cumin as you dare. Let boil on low, covered, for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally to deter sticking. Add more liquid as needed, with molasses, finely diced jalapenos, and more spice (yes, you need to keep adding it to build flavor). Let cook for another hour and add chocolate, ancho, and more spice, stirring them in, and then diced squash and liquid as needed, let cook for half an hour and add the beans (no liquid) and finish for 10 minutes. About 3200 calories for the pot, serving 5-6 600 calorie bowls. Serve with a spinach salad, 100 calories if you get crazy with it, for a balanced meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment