Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Egyptology

I tried to get this out twice last night, and twice my browser crashed destroying all my work. Teaches me to use the Windows laptop instead of the Mac. Pro tip: go buy a Mac.

On Thursday's run I got a weird feeling in my gut. Not the euphemistic weird feeling of impending doom, but a genuinely strange feeling right in the flabby part of my gut. As it wasn't anything serious, I will now offer conjecture as to what it was.

Tutankhamun's tomb was meticulously and painstakingly built, and packed with treasures from the day. After his burial in the tomb, I'm sure people knew where it was, and it was heavily guarded to protect the treasures. Then Egypt fell, and the tomb became lost to the ages, buried deep in the desert sands.

3000 years or so later Howard Carter stumbled upon the tomb. I'm sure excavation of the tomb was difficult as 3000 years of sand needed to be moved, and 3000 years didn't exactly make any of the entrances easier to penetrate. Plus, it is a little spooky opening those things. Certainly not easy by any means.

This is what I imagined was happening to my gut. Fat treasures stored decades ago are now being recalled, and my body has to open all the rusty doors to them long since considered permanently closed. My body has to re-learn where it hid all that fat, like derelict squirrels finding their nuts from the fall.

I took it as a good sign.

Last night for dinner I played with my Indian spices. Sadly, I was out of fresh curry leaves and had to make do with the powder. Recipe approximation is as follows:

Cardimom Quinoa
1/2 cup quinoa (310 calories)
1 cup stock
1 tbsp chili paste
1/2 tbsp sessame oil (60 calories)
1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil (60 calories)
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardimom

toast the quinoa lightly in the oil, add everything else, mix thoroughly and let simmer on low until done, half an hour or so. 220 or so calories per serving, serves 2

Kale "Paneer"
A healthy take on Saag Paneer, using kale instead of spinach or mustard greens.

2 cups dinosaur kale (1 bunch), cut into ribbons (70 calories)
1/2 tbsp sessame oil (60 calories)
1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil (60 calories)
1/4 cup stock/water
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 5.3oz container plain non-fat greek yogurt (80 calories)
dash soy sauce
2 tsp curry powder

Lightly sautee the garlic and ginger in the oil on med-high heat, and then add the kale before anything burns. Toss to coat and then add liquid, cook uncovered until most of the liquid is reduced. Add the yogurt to the pan with soy sauce and curry. A good Greek yogurt will curdle almost immediately, leaving curds of "paneer". Drain off the liquid once fully curdled. 135 calories per serving, serves 2.

Chicken with Mint and Garlic

A mint and garlic rub makes a great coating for chicken, and adding a touch of curry leaves a very nice Indian-style taste.

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 220 calories each for half pound breasts)
2 tbsp minced mint
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tbsp sesame oil (60 calories) - can omit if you grill
1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional for added heat)
2 tsp curry powder
salt to taste

Heat oil in non-stick pan. Rub the chicken breasts with all the spices and pan sear (not too hot - don't want the mint to burn) or grill until done. 220-250 calories per serving, serves 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment