Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Miscalculation

First of all, the good news: the revolution has been quelled. My system seems finally to have accepted its new lower-calorie diet and higher-calorie burn as the new "normal". I still feel hunger often during the day, but it is more of a dull headache of the stomach than the intestinal migraines I was experiencing earlier. So that is good I guess.

In conversing with my brother-in-law who is slightly more fit than me (in a similar manner Heather Locklear is "slightly" more attractive than Rosie O'Donnell) he indicated that you're not supposed to make radical caloric reductions to your diet, and instead make gradual changes to get to your goals. This little tidbit of information would certainly have been useful some time ago, but really, what would I have done with it? Only had two doughnuts for breakfast because I'm on a diet and trying to cut my calories? Limit myself to a double stacker and a small shake for lunch? That doesn't make sense.

Fact is the awareness of my caloric input was about 50% of the problem. Sure, I had a feeling I was eating more than I should, but I also was lying to myself that as long as it was early in the day, I could burn it off. My old diet was when good, very good, and when bad, very bad. Needed to attack it with an axe and not a scalpel.

Okay, so maybe cutting calories in half was a little too radical. How was I to know? The internet isn't exactly helpful in this regard - most links you find want you to pay to divulge the secrets of weight loss, or want you to pay to see a program like I'm laying out here. Millions of links on the subject with tons of information and twice as much more misinformation, I went back to the one thing I could trust: math. everything else would need to fall in place.

So while my transition period was a little rough, my "cold turkey" diet (you don't even realize how sadly and ironically appropriate that term is) approach got me to where I needed to be quickly and safely. Which is all that really counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment