Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cleaning out the Attic

In the past 12-15 years I've moved about 7-8 times that I can count. Every time I move, I'm amazed at how much pure crap I drag around with me from place to place. Some stuff naturally doesn't survive each move, but some stuff just keeps tagging along with me, even though I haven't used it during the entire time period. It just sits in the attic waiting for me to move again so it can be loaded on a truck and put in a brand new attic.

My gut is the same way. It is packed with flab that got packed on 12-15 years ago and hasn't been touched since it was first created. It kind of makes me wonder - is it the same flab I've been carrying around all these years, or does it recycle and keep fresh?

I think about this because today I got below 230 (229.6 to be precise) for the first time in the past 12-15 years. As I unpack my "flab attic" I wonder if I'm opening little time capsules filled with Yuengling, Reese's Cups, and chicken wings from years ago? And if so, why can't it be tasty like it was back then?

Speaking of things not seen in some time, I noticed today in the mirror that I could actually see a few of my ribs, which too many ribs and things that "stick to your ribs" (quite literally apparently) had long since occluded with a protective layer of fat. On that note, I was talking to a friend of mine who just hit 40, and who has recently lost about 30 pounds, and we both noted that losing the fat jacket makes us chillier, which is to be expected as it was like wearing a thick coat under your skin. Here I thought my Cleveland heritage just made me hearty and immune to the cold, whereas it turns out I was just fat. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment